This fourth issue of LONTAR presents speculative writing from and about Singapore, the Philippines, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia and Thailand. Inside these pages, you’ll find:
• the harsh realities of living as a refugee within a calorie-based economy by acclaimed award-winner Paolo Bacigalupi;
• the uneasy combination of domestic troubles and virtual reality from Palanca Prize winner Kate Osias;
• the unexpected and complete disappearance of Singapore itself from Singapore Literature Prize winner Ng Yi-Sheng;
• a surreal trip through alternate worlds from Philippines Free Press Literary Prize winner Eliza Victoria;
• an eerie meeting with chanteuse Faye Wong during a Malaysian holiday from Andrew Cheah;
• and speculative poetry from Michael Gray, Joses Ho, Desmond Kon Zhicheng-Mingdé, Cyril Wong and Jerrold Yam.
The first two issues of LONTAR were promoted heavily by online ebook seller Weightless Books: Issue #1 was the #1 ebook bestseller at Weightless Books for February/March 2014 and the #2 bestseller for May 2014; Issue #2 sold over 100 copies at Weightless Books in the first two weeks after release, and was the #1 ebook bestseller for May 2014.
LONTAR has been previously featured on Boing Boing, Adventures of a Bookonaut, Diversity in SF&F, Rocket Kapre, SF Signal and io9. The print editions of issues #2 and #3 were simultaneously launched in December 2014.
LONTAR is the world’s only biannual literary journal focusing on Southeast Asian speculative fiction. In this issue, seven contributors have won major literary awards in Singapore, USA, UK, Japan and the Philippines.ISBN: 9789814615914
Page Count: 128
Year Published: 2014